The usual basic thing that comes in mind of anyone interested in website building is: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WEB DESIGN AND WEB DEVELOPMENT?
A very popular and a good question.
Well, let’s talk both of it. Will take a look at the technical side then we’re going to dive in to the easier way of explaining them. In short, the simple term.
The Technical Definition: Are you ready? This is going to squeeze your brain cells. Make sure you have enough energy or you’ll pass out. (kidding)
Don’t be scared, this is not going to hurt you. The definition will not bite. I’ll make sure this is just a simple explanation.
Nowadays these terms WEB DESIGN and WEB DEVELOPMENT are both interchangeable as Web companies alternate the way they describe their services. The truth is that the terms reference to 2 fundamental different aspects of the website building, process requires two unique skill sets. So, the skills are designing and developing. They are two different skills.
Why is it important that you know the difference as you may be looking for someone to design and develop your company’s website? Let’s see if I can provide some clarity.
This is still technical. So please bear with me.
Web Design vs. Web Development
In essence, web design refers to both the aesthetic portion of the website and it’s usability. Technically, Web designers use various design programs such as Adobe Photoshop for example to create the layout and other visual elements of the website.
Web Developers, on the other hand, take a website design and actually make a functioning website from it. Web developers use HTML, CSS, Java script, PHP, and other programming languages to bring to life the design files.
Not clear enough? Okay, keep on reading.
Web Design – A Closer Look
Web designers must always begin by considering a client’s website objectives and then move on to set a website’s information hierarchy and help guide the design process. Next, web designers can start creating wire frames and finally move to the design stage. Web designers may use several basic design principles to achieve a pleasing layout which also offers excellent user experience.
Let me share with you some design principles.
- Balance – Web designers need to create a balanced layout. In web design, we refer to heavy large and dark colors, and light small and lighter colors elements. Using the correct amount of each is critical to achieve a balanced website design.
- Contrast – In color theory, contrast colors are the ones placed opposite to one another on the color wheel. Web design offers a few other areas where contrast is applicable. Designers look at contrast sizes, textures, and shapes to define and draw attention to certain sections of the website.
- Emphasis – We touched on this a bit when discussing contrast. Emphasis is a design principle founded in the intentional high lighting of certain important elements of the website layout. It’s important to note that if you emphasize everything on the page you end up emphasizing nothing. Imagine a page in a book where 80% of the content is high lighted in yellow, does anything stand out? This is the time to take a look at the Information for direction.
- Consistency – Also called repetition or rhythm, consistency is a critical web design principle. For example, clean and consistent navigation provides the best user experience for your website visitors.
- Unity – Unity is the relationship between the different parts of the website layout as a whole. Based on the Gestalt theory, unity deals with how the human brain organizes information by grouping elements.
Web Development – A Closer Look
Web developers are sometimes called programmers, take the design created, and build a fully functioning website. Developers take that design and break it up into its components. They then either use just HTML or a more dynamic approach incorporating programming languages such as PHP to develop the different website pages. More advanced web developers may choose to utilize a Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress or Joomla to streamline development and allow clients an easy way to maintain and update their website.
Web developers may convert a static layout into a dynamic website by using image and content sliders, active states for links and buttons, and other elements.
Phew! The technical definition is quite hard to absorb, right? But I hope you get the point.
Anyway, Let’s end this technicality with some final words.
Small businesses looking for a website or a re design of their existing website may be confused by the blurred lines surrounding the terms Web Design and Web Development. Although there are individuals that can do both, many companies have dedicated designers that create the website layout and then hand the design files over to a programmer who completes the development stage. VAs who can build websites and maintain them are the usual target of these business sectors. It might be your time to shine!
Hopefully, this article will help clear up the common mistake that design and development are the same.
Okay, that’s enough. In short, we can build a website without being too technical in the Architecture and Information Technology. We just need website builders available in starting our business or maintaining a client’s business.
Most business owners who hire website builder VAs usually prefer available builders like WordPress, Wix, and others. Meaning, you can build a website that is easy to sell, can sell products and services which can be used by your clients without having a developer.
Being a web designer is enough for you to become a high caliber VA. This is the reason, for the trend right now. Millennials love building their websites and gets appreciated by clients, thus the possibility of getting hired is very high.
In simple term, Web designing is anything visible. What you see is what you get.
You build the architecture and infrastructure needed and make it possible. Web development, on the other hand, is from scratch. Your bullets to go to war are the programming languages you are familiar with and your area of expertise. This is the reason why most web developers require more time for analysis.
Your Turn. Which one would you prefer?
- Which one is best for you? Web design or web development? Your choice.
- If you’re a beginner, don’t be too rush on yourself. FVA Web Design Course can help you with a great start. you don’t have to become so technical like a web developer. Being a web designer is enough to become a high caliber virtual assistant.
This course is great for aspiring or current Freelancers, Virtual Assistants, Website Managers, Web Designers, and Business entrepreneurs who want to learn how to build and design their own website.
- Understanding Web Design and WordPress
- Exploring the CPanel and Installing WordPress
- Exploring the WordPress Admin Dashboard
- Web Designing using Page Builders
- Building a Landing Page and Basic Email Marketing
- Building an Online Shop with WooCommerce
- Create a Membership Site
- Basic SEO
- Basic HTML and CSS
- Marketing and Growing your Business
- 10 recorded lessons
- 2 live sessions
- With online certification after course completion
- Free apprenticeship and hiring opportunities
Giving special credits and big thanks to Maj Lobaton for this wonderfully written article. 🙂